Date:      Tue, 23 Dec 2003 22:52:09 -0600
From:      Jeremy Messenger <mezz7@cox.net>
To:        Simon Barner <barner@in.tum.de>
Cc:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Looking for something to do?

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 05:32:49 +0100, Simon Barner <barner@in.tum.de> wrote:

>> * gstreamer[-plugins]: Make sure your favorite plug-in works.  Try
>> testing out gst-capable apps such as rhythmbox, gst-mixer,
>> nautilus-media, etc.
>
> Koop Mast and me are working on this. I was able to build quite a lot of
> plugins, but I did not do any testing before.
>
> Since I'll be away from FreeBSD until 29th, I have uploaded my current
> work here:
>
> http://home.leo.org/~barner/freebsd/gsp/

I get 404 error here..

> If you want to use these patches, be sure to contact Koop first, since
> is working on disjoint problems of the port, and I asked him to merge my
> results.
>
>> * Nautilus' volume monitor code: The volume monitor code has been
>> completely re-written in GNOME 2.5, and I'm much happier with the
>> FreeBSD code.  I've tried to make the functionality as close to Linux as
>> possible, but you never know.  What you should test here is make sure a
>> mounted CD/DVD or floppy disk shows up on the desktop.  You should also
>> be able to do ``sysclt vfs.usermount=1'' then add an entry to fstab
>> where the mount point is owned by a user other than root, then see that
>> icon on your desktop even when the disk is not mounted.  You should then
>> be able to right-click on the icon, and mount the disk.
>
> Unfortunately, that does not work for me.
> I set vfs.usermount=1, and my /etc/fstab looks like this:
>
> /dev/acd0c             /home/simon/cdrom    cd9660  ro,nosuid,noauto 0 0
> /dev/fd0.1440          /home/simon/floppy   msdos   rw,nosuid,noauto 0 0

Can you mount it as normal user in the command line? I had to put user in
the operator group then setup in the devfs.conf:

own	acd0	root:operator
perm	acd0	0666

As for 4.x will need to do 'chgrp operator /dev/acd0c' and chmod it to
0666.. You can find more info in the
/usr/share/doc/${YOUR_LANG}/books/faq/disks.html..

Cheers,
Mezz

--
bsdforums.org 's moderator, mezz.