Date:      Mon, 5 Jul 1999 09:43:26 -0300
From:      "Joao Carlos" <jcarlos@bahianet.com.br>
To:        "N.N.M" <madrapour@hotmail.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: IDENTD

> Thanks for information.

you're welcome

> 1) Could you tell me please if I can block this sort of connection (ident)
> without causing any problem or inconvenience for the services like mail or
> so?

Look, unless you have a big reason to block, i think if you run sendmail or
popper in your machie, you shouldn't block. the services won't stop working,
but sendmail and popper likes to check who is using the services. You can
block, if you want, incoming requests for port 113, but i really think you
should let outgoing connections to be completed. IRC uses identd every time
the client connects, but don't worry, if you block everybody will continue
connecting without problems.
That's my own opinion.

> 2) Can it be consequnced: it is basically better to block the all
> conncetions we want, by using "reject" instead of "deny"? Based on what
you
> said (and I read about), using "reject" decreases the further re-attemting
> conncetions, so it will decrease the unusable and unwanted traffic as
well.
> Is it right?

Yes it is. The basic difference some people like to use DENY is that the
otehr machine does not know what is happening... i mean... if you use
reject, The person is trying to connect you know you are rejecting that
connection... but if you use deny, onl;y you know that...for example... if
you REJECT an ICMP packet, the person will know you're rejecting, but if you
DENY, that person will only see timed out messages.

Please, if i'm wrong in anything , somebody tells me that.

Joao Carlos
jcarlos@bahianet.com.br