Date:      Thu, 26 Oct 2000 21:52:21 GMT
From:      "Aaron Hill" <hillaa@hotmail.com>
To:        julian@elischer.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More on PPPoE & ADSL (Telstra Bigpond)

Firstly thanks for your reply.

>It may "just work" if you power down and restart the DSL modem...
>it caches the local ethernet address sometimes and won't work with
>another..
>
>(I notice that the windows and Linux are the same (different) machine
>from that used
>by BSD.. The DSL modem, once initialised to that machine may refuse to
>work correctly with the
>other machine (I've seen this many times)

Good spot, I forgot to mention that. I'm pretty sure my ISP/modem doesn't
have this restriction because a few times during my testing. The Windows and
Linux captures were made from my desktop machine but I've also switched the
connection between my work laptop (linux) and my desktop in a space of
seconds and have always managed to get connected. Just to confirm though I
did try your suggestion but it didn't work. I'll be happy to try most things
(ritual sacrifice?) to get this working!

Out of interest the adsl modem I have is called an Alcatel Speed Touch Home.
I haven't had a reason to doubt it yet either, it seems a pretty reliable
device.

>on the other hand it DOES look as if you are getting part way through
>the initialisation.
>I don;t understand why the provider comes back with seven service
>names, unless he is offering you seven possibilities. He however is NOT
>providing an AC-name!
>
>very wierd

Isn't it! The AC-Name is not returned in the Concentrators response yet in
FreeBSD's next request it knows the AC-Name... ? Um. What's going on? The
AC-Name is not in any config file and I've got the same situation after
rebooting which would have cleared at any ARP caches etc.

I've also tried disabling ARP on the FreeBSD interface connecting to the
modem (i.e. -ARP in ifconfig) which some people seem to use in some
newsgroup/mailing list archives I've seen. I've also tried different
interfaces, different IP addresses, different media settings, browsing the
netgraph source, about a hundred different ppp.conf options (I've got a very
basic config now, just to test PPPoE discovery) etc etc.

My struggle (and Peter's) continues.

Aaron Hill