Date:      Sat, 7 Aug 1999 13:28:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Johan Petersson <kjep@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   CD-RW and tar

Hi people!

This is my third attempt to send a mail to this list.
The two others seem to be lost i space, so I'm trying
from a different account. Sorry if anyone receives
doubles.

Anyway, what I'm trying to do is this; burn
multi-volume tar files directly onto a CD-RW so I
won't have to mount the CD to read the tar file.
Firstly I create the tar files:

$ tar -c -L 640000 -f drive2.tar /drive2

From another window I then rename the tar files so I
get several files like drive2.tar.0, drive2.tar.1 etc.
Then I burn the CD:

$ cdrecord -v drive2.tar.0

and repeat as many times as needed. Now comes the
problem. When I try to check the tar files:

$ tar -t -M -f /dev/cd0c

It reads on for a while on the first CD but stops part
thru with a read error on /dev/cd0c. I've also tried
using /dev/cd0a and  reading from an IDE CDROM
/dev/wcd0a and wcd0c but with the same result. Reading
the tar files from the hard disk works fine.

I really hope someone has any good ideas about how to
do this since it would simplify things a lot not
having to put the tar files on a "real" file system on
the CD. This works though, I've tried it. I'm running
2.2.6 on a P-200 and the CD-RW is a Yamaha 4260 SCSI
that works perfect otherwise.

Regards
Johan