Date:      Mon, 9 Aug 2010 17:12:21 +0200
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
To:        Joshua Boyd <boydjd@jbip.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 8-STABLE Slow Write Speeds on ESXI 4.0

On 9 August 2010 16:55, Joshua Boyd <boydjd@jbip.net> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 7, 2010 at 1:58 PM, Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org> wrote:

>> > This is interesting. Write speeds went up to 40MBish. Still slow, but 4x
>> > faster than before.
>> > [root@git ~]# dd if=/dev/zero of=/var/testfile bs=1M count=250
>> > 250+0 records in
>> > 250+0 records out
>> > 262144000 bytes transferred in 6.185955 secs (42377288 bytes/sec)
>> > [root@git ~]# dd if=/var/testfile of=/dev/null
>> > 512000+0 records in
>> > 512000+0 records out
>> > 262144000 bytes transferred in 0.811397 secs (323077424 bytes/sec)
>> > So read speeds are up to what they should be, but write speeds are still
>> > significantly below what they should be.
>>
>> Well, you *could* double the size of "runningspace" tunables and try that
>> :)
>>
>> Basically, in tuning these two settings we are cheating: increasing
>> read-ahead (read_max) and write in-flight buffering (runningspace) in
>> order to offload as much IO to the controller (in this case vmware) as
>> soon as possible, so to reschedule horrible IO-caused context switches
>> vmware has. It will help sequential performance, but nothing can help
>> random IOs.
>
> Hmm. So what you're saying is that FreeBSD doesn't properly support the ESXI
> controller?

Nope, I'm saying you will never get raw disk-like performance with any
"full" virtualization product, regardless of specifics. If you want
performance, go OS-level (like jails) or some example of
paravirtualization.

> I'm going to try 7.3-RELEASE today, just to make sure that this isn't a
> regression of some kind. It seems from reading other posts that this used to
> work properly and satisfactorily.

Nope, I've been messing around with VMWare for a long time and the
performance penalty was always there.