Date:      Thu, 26 Oct 2000 03:05:14 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mike Nowlin <mike@argos.org>
To:        Len Conrad <lconrad@Go2France.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: BPF usage questions

> >Sorry for a small comment (not really related to the topic).
> >I wouldn't call it DSL modem,
>
> I agree, or "modem" in the broadest, probably misleading sense.
>
> >  As far as I know it does not have analog data,
>
> no, "D"igital Subscriber Loop, in the 3 to 10 KHz band.  A good
> introductory overview of the DSL area:
>
> http://www.paradyne.com/sourcebook_offer/index.html
>
> >so there is nothing to Modulate/Demodulate. I would refer it as a router or
> >bridge... I guess...
>
> bridge, for DSL-to-Ethernet L2 conversion, and router if it also does L3.

Once you start speaking of frequency bands, you're back to analog in the
first place...  Of course, modulation itself basically means changing a
stable "thing" (voltage, radio frequency, etc.) by the influence of an
outside source.  Just look at 1200bps vs. 9600/56K bps amateur packet
radio - two completely different methods of it, but they're both
modulation...  I suppose DSL is kinda like 56K packet...  (check out
www.wa4dsy.net)

--mike