Date:      Fri, 16 Feb 2001 05:30:59 -0800 (PST)
From:      Omer Faruk Sen <ofsenfreebsd@yahoo.com>
To:        EVILEEN MASTERS <evileenm@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freeBSD ftp

Those files are ctm files.You need that Empty(they are
called as start delta) file as a  start point to make
your source directory.
How will you apply that to your system.I mean how you
will install that source package?First
mkdir /usr/src (Be sure it is empty before using ctm
cd /usr/src
#ctm -v -v /home/user/src.xxx-Empty.gz.
After that you have to apply all those other ctm(Cvs
Thru Mail)
#ctm -v -v /home/user/src-* will aply all deltas to
your system

After having latest ctm.You can make your world
easily(makeworld.html in handbook)
But I am sure you have understood that it is better to
install a RELEASE to make your world.First download an
iso image of a release

PS:Is there a way to install a stable system from
scartch?Not using a release?Maybe with a floopy

--- EVILEEN MASTERS <evileenm@hotmail.com> wrote:

<HR>
<DIV>
<P>for the past few days I have been downloading
freeBSD from ftp. I have one question:</P>
<P><FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff">Are the
empty files neccessary to download as part of the
package?</FONT></P>
<P><FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff">For
instance, src-cur.4700xEmpty.gz. This is an extremely
large file of 80,056KB. I don't understand how a file
that big can be &quot;empty&quot;. There are several
of these large empty files </FONT><FONT
style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff">in the download
area. I would like to know if they are necessary for
running freeBSD. Because I would rather omit them if
they are not needed too much. On my connection it
would take about 8 hours to download the one mentioned
above. I already downloaded one of these empty files,
and it took 6 hours. This seems pretty long to me. As
there are so many such files in the download area, it
would just take too long to download them all.&nbsp;
Anyway, please help!</FONT></P>
<P><FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR:
#ffffff">Thanks</FONT></P></DIV><br clear=all><hr>Get
your FREE download of MSN Explorer at <a

with "unsubscribe freebsd-questions" in the body of
the message