Date:      Thu, 10 Oct 2002 10:47:58 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NICs

Nuno Pimenta <npimenta@ipn.pt> wrote:
 > I need to find the best Fast Ethernet and ISDN PCI cards for FreeBSD.
 > Can you help me making the decisions?

If the price is not important, get an intel EtherExpress/100
fast ethernet card.  They're well supported and perform very
well under FreeBSD.

If the price is _completely_ unimportant, buy one of the
well-supported gigabit ethernet cards, such as one based on
Tigon-II or Broadcom chips.  They support things like TCP
checksumming, VLAN demuxing etc. in hardware, even if you
use them "only" at 100 MBit/s.  (However, be careful, some
gigabit ethernet cards don't support 10 or 100 MBit/s any-
more.  Check the specs before buying.)

On the other hand, if it's for a desktop machine, you can
as well buy a cheap card, such as a Realtek-based one.
(I know, Realtek has a bad reputation, and it has somewhat
more overhead if you have a slow CPU, but you usually won't
notice when using standard desktop applications.  I've seen
Realteks as low as 5 Euro, while an EtherExpress is more
like 50 Euro.)

YMMV.

Regards
   Oliver