Date:      Mon, 08 Jan 2007 15:59:55 +0100
From:      Christoph Illnar <illnar@communitor.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make buildworld is always braking at various points

Peter Jeremy schrieb:
> On Sun, 2007-Jan-07 17:44:24 +0100, Christoph Illnar wrote:
>> I keep having troubles compiling either 6.1-RELEASE and 6.2-RC2.
>> I downloaded sources, extracted them with install.sh and did a cvsup.
>>
>> My installed system is 6.1-RELEASE and I keep trying to compile it on my
>> own.
>
> Is the failure consistent?  I suspect you may have bad RAM.
>
> Note that:
> 1) "/usr/src.lib/" does not normally exist;
> 2)  "." and "/" differ by 1 bit;
> 3) The cc line shows "-I/usr/src/lib/libpthread/arch/i386/include";
> 4) Compiling thr_condattr_init.c uses the same #include sequence to
>    successfully load "pthread_md.h";
> 5) None of the test build boxes are reporting any problems.
>
> Please try running a memory test, or swapping your RAM.

Thank you Peter, your guess was quite right!

I've never seen something like that, because with the same settings each
compilation process stopped at the same position. So I did not suspect a
faulty memory where I believed build should break randomly.

Tests showed that all 4(!) banks showed errors and when I replaced them
my build finished successfully.

Shame on me for not checking this before!

Thank you again everyone for your hints!

kindly regards,
Christoph