Date:      Fri, 22 May 1998 00:23:17 -0400
From:      Jim Yuill <jjyuill@mindspring.com>
To:        fam@risca.com (Frank Mandarino)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, grog@lemis.com, dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu, sysadmin@mfn.org
Subject:   Re: seeking advice re: configuring a serial console

>I got the boot: prompt to appear on the serial console of my
>2.2.6-RELEASE system by:
>
>1) building my kernel with "options COMCONSOLE" to force the serial
>console, and
>
>2) creating a /boot.config file containing the option "-P", to use the
>serial console if no keyboard is found,
>
>3) unplugging my keyboard.
>
>The file /usr/src/sys/i386/boot/biosboot/README.serial contains further
>information.
>
>Regards,
>../fam
>--
>Frank A. Mandarino					fam@risca.com
>		     60 F1 97 67 FB B9 9D 75  F8 C4 FA 9E AF 2F 04 FE

Frank,

thanks for the great info!!  I tried it and it works well.

Per instructions in README.serial, I also had to set the CMOS keyboard
field to "not installed".

jim

|  This note was written using voice-input--  |
|  strange typos may be present :-)           |
Jim Yuill, graduate student
Computer Science Department
North Carolina State University
919-546-0537 (h/w)