Date:      Thu, 22 Nov 2001 17:35:07 +0100
From:      Stephan Mantler <step@acm.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: meteor driver problems

> the original meteor card's PCI chipset had a known and uncorrectable
> hardware incompatibility with PCI 2.0 chipsets that caused lockup.
> [...]

oh. I'm guessing that it is the Meteor card that locks up; this does
make sense. I've realized that since tsleep is called with METPRI
(which does include PCATCH) it's fairly obvious that any signal
(that's not ignored) will break the process out of the frozen tsleep.
So, a properly scheduled SIGALRM ....

Still, I don't really see how the Meteor gets out of its lockup.
The process simply proceeds to grab the next image (successfully),
which hardly resets the frame grabber or suchlike.

> My guess every computer that you used to test the card uses the
> PCI 2.x chipset.

Correct. In fact, they're all identical: Asus P2B-D(S) dual PII
mainboards (at various clock speeds), so I'm a bit surprised that
I'm only having issues with two of them (so far, *knocking on wood*).

Anyway, thanks for the help.
-stephan

--
stephan mantler: endurance sports maniac    reality is in fact virtual.
http://step.wastelander.org/                              step@acm.org