Date:      Sat, 14 Mar 1998 14:04:41 -0600 (CST)
From:      John Kenagy <jktheowl@bga.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        questions freebsd <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: NIS, no luck :-(

On Fri, 13 Mar 1998, Doug White wrote:

<snip...>

> I would think no -- the specified values would *override* those in the
> map, and I don't think you want to download a map that has a bunch of
> accounts as root:wheel with logins disabled. :)
>
> Note that FreeBSD's implementation of NIS was developed independently of
> Sun's, following their specifications.  No doubt some inconsistencies
> exist between the two.  i.e, we use ypserv and Sun uses ypinit.
>
> > Oh, well, I do this for the challenge, right? ...right? ...?
>
> Yes, and hopefully will write documentation afterward :)

Ok, Ok, I'll try, but I am long winded. (worded? ;-))

The LAN is running now for almost two days. I disabled NIS doing
DNS lookups. I also found that I had left a localhost alias in /etc/hosts
(stupid). When I get brave I'll try the DNS again, but this time I'll
set up the full DNS catastrophy.

Anyway thanks for the feedback.

John