Date:      Thu, 7 Jul 2005 17:22:56 +0200
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely12.cicely.de>
To:        "Alexander N. Mueller" <alex@6by9.org>
Cc:        freebsd-usb@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: usb/76461: disklabel of umass(4)-CAM(4)-da(4) not used by devfs automatically

On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 07:40:11PM +0000, Alexander N. Mueller wrote:
> The following reply was made to PR usb/76461; it has been noted by GNATS.
>
> From: "Alexander N. Mueller" <alex@6by9.org>
> To: Andriy Gapon <avg@icyb.net.ua>
> Cc: bug-followup@freebsd.org, arne_woerner@yahoo.com
> Subject: Re: usb/76461: disklabel of umass(4)-CAM(4)-da(4) not used by devfs automatically
> Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 21:34:35 +0200
>
>  On Tue, Jul 05, 2005 at 05:04:38PM +0300, Andriy Gapon wrote:
>  >
>  > Alex, Arne,
>  >
>  > could you please read a thread starting with the following mail:
>  > http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=12145+0+archive/2005/freebsd-geom/20050703.freebsd-geom
>  > and see if it covers your case as well and if suggested procedure is
>  > Good Enough for you too ?
>
>  Andriy,
>
>  yes, doing "true > /dev/da0" works for me.  I had to do it three times,
>  however, before my Fujitsu DynaMO 2300 U2 finally recognized the medium I
>  had inserted.  After doing that, all the missing partitions (da0a, da0c)
>  were there.  Thanks for this hint!
>
>  It's just a little inconvenient, because I have quite a few USB mass
>  storage devices, which I only power up on demand.  Therefore I usually
>  don't know which device node (da0, da1, ...) is being assigned to each
>  device.  Normally this doesn't impose any problem because I use GEOM
>  labels to mount these devices.  Of course, the above workaround doesn't
>  help with that...

Just do it for all drives - you get permisson denied for drives with
partitions mounted, but that's it.
It's only a problem if you are worried about sleeping disks having to
spin up for this to work.
You can also use camcontrol devlist -v and wrap a script around it, the
umass-sim number is identic to the umass number.

bernd@bwct.de                                  info@bwct.de