Date:      Tue, 11 Aug 1998 19:03:50 -0700
From:      "Carlos C. Tapang" <ctapang@easystreet.com>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>, "Dexnation Holodream" <dex@wankers.net>
Cc:        <garyr@wcs.uq.edu.au>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Is Intel EtherExpress PRO/100 Mobile Adapter supported?

The 82596 is an older chip that was used in several LAN cards (Pro/100A,
PRO/10 PCI, Flash32). These cards had problems and were very difficult to
get to work. The newer chip, the 82557 is the one now used in the PRO/100B
and the new version of PRO/10 PCI. You may order the data sheet of the 82596
from the Intel Literature department, but that won't be enough. What you
need is the technical spec. of the particular card you are using. Because
it's an old card, I doubt whether you can get the details on it. At any
rate, try visiting support.intel.com or calling 800-525-3019 (faxback) or
800-321-4044. The Intel support personnel are very helpful, just tell them
you are writing a device driver.
--Carlos