Date:      Sun, 15 Dec 1996 09:11:10 -0500 (EST)
From:      Keith Leonard <keithl@wakko.gil.net>
To:        Robert Chalmers <robert@nanguo.chalmers.com.au>
Cc:        bsd <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: how do I print std text?

Howdy Robert,

The following filter works for my HP Deskjet 500 (which I think has the
same problem with LF and CRLF. It is called lpf (from a linux howto):

#!/bin/sh
# Filter for HP printer and the staircase effect
echo -ne \\033\&k2G
cat
echo -ne \\f

Name the filter lpf

and add this to your printcap:

:if=/usr/lib/lpf:

somewhere in the printcap entry (note location of lpf - put it where you
want but make sure that the entry directs to correct location).

The above merely sends an escape sequence to your printer - if this does
not work then try this script:

#!/bin/sh
if [ "$1" = -c ]; then
	cat
else
	sed -e s/$/^M/
fi
echo -ne \\f

The '^M' is produced in vi with Ctrl-v Ctrl-m - this is NOT a '^' followed
by a 'M'. If you use Emacs Ctrl-q Ctrl-m should do it.

Same applys for installing in princap.

Hope this helps,

Keith
On Sun, 15 Dec 1996, Robert Chalmers wrote:

> I have a Cannon bubble jet on the net, for both DOS, and the
> Unix machines. However, all I get from the FreeBSD box is the
> staircase effect?
>
> I have followed the Chapter 7 stuff, and the FAq's, to no avail.
>
> Could someone who has done this, printed to a standard bubble jet,
> from dos and unix, offer any advice as to what to put in the printcap
> file? or a filter file?
>
> thanks for  any assistance,
> cheers,
> Robert
>
> --
> Reality. re al 'i ty. Something for those with no imagination.
> robert@chalmers.com.au for Whirled Peas		http://www.chalmers.com.au
> Location: Whitsunday Web Works.			21'7" S, 149'14" E.
> Advertise, or there's a good chance the sheriff will do it for you. P.T Barnum.

Keith
keithl@gil.net
Character is what you are in the dark - John Warfin