Date:      Mon, 30 Apr 2001 08:28:58 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sys/mutex.h sys/lock.h (and other) cleanups. Commit Candidate #2

> On Sun, 29 Apr 2001, Mark Murray wrote:
>
> > Please review
> >
> > http://people.freebsd.org/~markm/patches/sys.SYS_MUTEX.diff.3
> >
> > Nothing has changed much since the last Commit Candidate; I have
> > just merged in some big commits.
> >
> > Reminder - the primary purpose of these is to untangle the requirement
> > that "major" system includes (<sys/*.h> files) have on sys/lock.h
> > and sys/mutex.h. Also included is a further deprecation of
> > sys/lockmgr.h (by including it in sys/lock.h). Lesser purposes of
>
> Actually, the deprecation consists of including <sys/lockmgr.h> instead
> of <sys/lock.h> in some headers that only need the former.  <sys/lock.h>
> is not such a header, but it still includes <sys/lockmgr.h> although this
> is more bogus than before.  The verbose comment before this include has
> been copied to to many places (more than 0).

That is based on something you asked me to do?

> > this include sorting of the sys/*.h includes in affected files,
> > and fixing of the problems that these sorts (may) create.
>
> Please use separate commit(s) to sort the files.  Committing these first
> is best I guess.

OK - I can do this, except that a) this lock/mutex dethreading is going
to affect it (in some cases significantly), and b) its going to delay
(perhaps by a month) the whole commit (due to other (social) pressures).

> The differences between SYS_MUTEX.diff.2 and SYS_MUTEX.diff.3 are
> about half for moving around bogus includes of <net/radix.h> and
> <sys/socket.h>.  They were included recently to work around breakage
> of <sys/mount.h> and only about 90% of them have been backed out so
> far.  At the time they were included, they had to be included before
> <sys/mount.h> and sorting them would been wrong.  Now sorting them
> has no effect (except to clean things up) because including them has
> no effect (except to trigger bogometers).

OK - I'll clean them out too.

> Have you tested this for alphas?

Earlier I did. Before the commit, it will be. (Build, not run).

> Committing this is taking too long.  At least we avoided <net/radix.h>-
> like spam (I hope).

Agreed. :-( See above.

Mark Murray
Warning: this .sig is umop ap!sdn