Date:      Sat, 23 Oct 1999 10:46:21 -0500
From:      Bryan Albright <bryana@uswest.net>
To:        courtney@whtz.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Apache Question

---On 10/23/99 at 01:02, someone may or may not have written 0.5K bytes---

> OK...I have a freebsd box running 3.2 and I want to add the Apache WWW
> server to it.  I did a /stand/sysinstall and downloaded the apache server,
> then went into /usr/ports/www/apache12 and did a "make" but now what the
> heck do I have to do to get this thing working???

Okay, first thing is to do a "make install".  That will install all of
the required files and libraries in the correct locations.

Then, try to do a "/usr/local/sbin/apachectl start".  You should get a
message similar to "/usr/local/sbin/apachectl start: httpd started"
If not, look in your /usr/local/etc/apache directory and make sure you
have the apache.conf, httpd.conf and srm.conf files, not just the
default ones.  (for a quick and dirty startup, you could just cp the
default files to the original .conf names, but I would not recommend
this.  It is better to cp the default files, then modify the conf
files to match your needs and security concerns.)

Then try the "apachectl start" command, and all should be happy.

Hope this helps and makes sense (its been a while since I've installed
apache on my server),

Bryan