Date:      Mon, 4 Mar 1996 14:57:53 -0700 (MST)
From:      Dave Andersen <angio@aros.net>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        kallio@cc.jyu.fi, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, zing@pacificws.com, questions@freebsd.com
Subject:   Re: performance of FreeBSD on Pentium Pro?

Lo and behold, Michael Smith once said:

> (Remeber, you _are_ running a monster web server, IIRC 8)
>
> It seems that the harvest cache daemon and apache are poised to finally
> kill off the cern daemon; any comments from someone actually using them?

   Yeah.  Unfortunatly, I disagree.  Harvest Cache needs one small thing
(that I haven't had the time to even peek at implimenting here. :-) to
kill off cern:  The ability to handle conditional gets for
if-modified-since (and to *use* them).  As it was, we tried it out with
some of our customers, and it nullifies the effects of their local
on-disk cache, actually increasing the bandwidth used between us and the
customer.

   On the other hand, in a *very* small alpha test, we were getting a
surprisingly high cache hit rate.  Once the if-modified-since support is
implimented, I'll agree completely with you.

   -Dave Andersen

--
angio@aros.net                Complete virtual hosting and business-oriented
system administration         Internet services.  (WWW, FTP, email)