Date:      Thu, 15 Aug 2002 16:24:36 -0700
From:      Parker Brown <phbrown@charter.net>
To:        BSDQuestions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Runaway lpd

Is there a sure fire way to stop a runaway printer?  I've tried every
thing I could think of with the lpc command, but no luck.

Once I fed a HUGH file to lp.  Once I realized what I had done, I tried
to cancel the print.  lpc (as root) said it had emptied all the queues,
but the printer wouldn't stop.  I had to just let it keep going until it
was "satisfied."  This meant feeding the same fifty something sheets
back into the printer (to save wasted paper), and I was actually
releived when my black ink cartridge ran out of ink during the process.

Now I tried to test what apsfilter has done by feeding a JPEG image to
lpr.  Wrong.  It's apparently in a loop printing one or two lines of
garbage at a time, and then starting the process over again.  And
agaim.  lpc thinks the queues are empty, but the daemon is aroused.
This time, rather than disabling the printer, I just turned it off.

Well, this way I've only lost about forty sheets of paper and saving
both ink cartridges, but I would like to be able to turn the printer
back on without fear.

How can I satisfy lpd?

Pb