Date:      Tue, 11 Mar 1997 00:39:56 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Samara McCord <mccord@zytek.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make world exposes memory errors!?

> Assuming this is a memory problem, my question is: how is it that this machin
e,
> which has been running continuously for six months as a server, several domai
ns
> and websites and some heavy computational processing could avoid finding this
> problem while "make world" would expose it?  Is there something peculiar
> going on here that would stress the system differently than normal usage?

Not peculiar, but certainly more stress over a shorter period than
most machines seem to experience any other way.  The `make world' is a
well accepted quality-assurance test for most FreeBSD hardware vendors
now, and I know that I certainly won't check off a box as "seaworthy"
until it's passed two consecutive make worlds.  Nowadays, with machines
as fast as they are, I might even consider running 4 or 5 of them over
a 24 hour period and test the thermal sensitivity of the system at the
same time.

					Jordan