Date:      Wed, 12 Dec 2001 22:06:05 +0900
From:      shudo@computer.org
To:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: jdk1.3.1p5

Georg-W Koltermann <Georg.Koltermann@mscsoftware.com> wrote:

> >From a user's perspective Hotspot vs. classic is a real difference.
> Try to run an interactive tool like Together/J with a classic VM (I
> use FreeBSD JDK1.3.1/green-threads with OpenJIT) and then again with
> Hotspot (my colleague uses Linux with Sun's Hotspot VM).  You will
> notice that working with this caliber of a Java application, and not
> having Hotspot, IS A REAL PAIN.

OpenJIT takes long start-up time because a large part of
the compiler is written in Java language itself. The
compiler compiles itself and most of the self
compilation is carried out by the bytecode interpreter
of the Classic VM.

IBM Jikes RVM, formerly known as Jalapeno, is a JVM
written in Java. It will also needs long time to warm
itself up. So developers of the JVM say it is for
server-side.

  Jikes RVM
    http://www-124.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/jikesrvm/

  Kazuyuki Shudo	shudo@computer.org	http://www.shudo.net/