Date:      Fri, 16 Feb 2001 16:29:29 +0300
From:      Vlad Skvortsov <vss@ulstu.ru>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: read-only /

On Fri, Feb 16, 2001 at 01:20:32PM +0000, Cliff Sarginson wrote:
> > 	What is proper way to set root filesystem readonly on 4.2-R system ?
> > The only problem I've encountered is that devices below /dev cannot change
> > owners when users log in.
>
> I do not know what perceived risk you are trying to protect yourself
> from but the above problem with /dev should worry you enough not to
> do this.

	That is shell access server. The configuration has to be secure because
we have not much time to watch this box. Everything what's possible is set
to r/o; r/w partitions are quotas enabled, noexec and nodev flags are on.
The only filesystem left "unsecure" is /.

> Any programs that need to write in /etc will also break.

	I do understand it. No programs on production box should ever
write to /etc.
--
Vlad Skvortsov, vss@ulstu.ru