Date:      Tue, 27 Nov 2001 18:18:23 +0000
From:      Adam Laurie <adam@algroup.co.uk>
To:        Tom Beer <mailings@analogon.com>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Amanda - inetd

Tom Beer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm planning to install amanda (remote backup
> solution) on a freebsd box as a client. Unfourtunately
> amanda needs inetd, which I don't want to start
> for security reasons. Even not tcpwarrped.
> Is there a way to bring my ppp dialup connection
> down, start inetd, start amanda, ending inetd after
> the backup and starting my ppp connection
> again? Or is there a better solution?

use xinetd and bind amanda's service only to loopback. oh, and make sure
your loopback is protected against remote routing. ipfw in "open" mode
will do this if you're not already running a firewall anyway.

cheers,
Adam
--
Adam Laurie                   Tel: +44 (20) 8742 0755
A.L. Digital Ltd.             Fax: +44 (20) 8742 5995