Date:      Mon, 03 Dec 2001 11:09:54 -0800
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@soco.agilent.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
Subject:   Re: Found the problem, w/patch (was Re: FreeBSD performing worse than Linux?)

Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com> wrote:

> Unfortunately, I'm unable to run tcpdump on the client, since it's
> running NT and we're not allowed to install any 3rd party apps on it
> (such as the WinDump package).

     NT???  You wouldn't happen to be seeing performance problems with
Samba, I hope?  There are some known Samba/FreeBSD issues that can cause
abysmal performance (~30-40KB/sec -- yes, "kilobytes/sec"), even with
100BT cards.  No hangs or aborts, though.  I've only seen this problem
with DOS network stacks, but it wouldn't surprise me if it also affected
some version of NT.

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo@soco.agilent.com