Date:      Fri, 23 Apr 1999 17:48:56 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        asmodai@wxs.nl (Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai)
Cc:        wes@softweyr.com, mbendiks@eunet.no, jkh@zippy.cdrom.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG, grog@lemis.com, illiad@userfriendly.org
Subject:   Re: Cross Posting...

> Wonder what TerryBSD is written in... Must be pure C I reckon?

K&R C, with upper case "VOLATILE" and "VOID" #defined based on the
compiler compliance level.

ANSI C has two problems:

1)	Prototypes, which catch errors that could be caught at
	link time or avoided entirely using appropriate sign
	extension techniques and/or descriptor based calling,
	and which were introduced for hiding "near" and "far"
	in pre-Windows95 source code, which ran in medium model.

2)	The "volatile" keyword, which is applied to variables,
	when it is obvious that any external reference by a
	function called in a seperate thread of context (e.g.
	signal handlers) are "volatile", and that any direct
	hardware manipulation (a compiler should know the
	system for which it is compiling code) could be table
	discovered and/or use a "hardware" keyword (alternately,
	it could use "pointers are volatile" semantics).

It has the advantage of being compilable with any C compiler,
all the way back to Aztec C for the Kaypro 2 under CP/M.

It's much easier to port when part of the porting process is not
becoming the maintainer of all the GNU tools for the year and a
half after you quit distributing binaries, required by the
license.  Plus I always hated writing code generators for all
the hardware the GNU tools doesn't support.  8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.