Date:      Thu, 15 Apr 1999 15:09:35 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        Gary Schrock <root@eyelab.psy.msu.edu>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NT4 server 2.5 times faster than Linux

On Thu, 15 Apr 1999, Amancio Hasty wrote:

> I am trying to suggest to plug the hole that got Linux into trouble :
>
>   Tuning configuration documentation, sample harware configuration
>   and software configuration for a high performance web server and
>   preferred mailing list to contact for performance or tuning questions.
>
> The later is important for in the past people have posted on usenet
> and their queries have gone unanswered or worse they
> didn't know where to send their questions to .

I've always wanted to see, for example, the kernel config file for
wcarchive and maybe some other little notes on "how this was tweaked
to gain maximum performance in this situation".  It might be in the
CVS tree somewhere for all I know, but unless it has a big red flag on
it, I probably won't see it. :-)

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For Intel x86 and Alpha architectures (SPARC under development).
   ( http://www.freebsd.org )

-- "One should admire Windows users.  It takes a great deal of
    courage to trust Windows with your data."