Date:      Thu, 7 May 1998 11:29:28 +1200 (NZST)
From:      Joe Abley <jabley@clear.co.nz>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        Derek Casanares <derek@alteon.com>, freebsd-mozilla@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: error message with FreeBSD

On Wed, 6 May 1998, Warner Losh wrote:

> In message <Pine.BSF.3.96.980507101834.19630B-100000@buddha.clear.net.nz> Joe Abley writes:
> : I don't think .32 would ever normally be a broadcast address, since it
> : sits on a power of 2 boundary?
>
> If my machine has a network address of 209.1.112.33 and a netmask of
> 0xffffffe0, then what would its broadcast address be by default?
> 209.1.112.32 since broadcast addresses are all zeros on older versions
> of some TCP stacks....

Ah, that's right - the all-zeros broadcast address. I was forgetting about
that.

> However, it is much more likely that two machines are using the same
> IP address, or that one machine is using it with different NICs.

Or that the network contains a lot of mobile (say) dhcp-configured clients
- one laptop is shut down, releases its lease on its IP address and
another one starts up shortly afterwards, receives the same address and
sends out ARP responses accordingly.

Or something like that :)

Joe

--