Date:      Sat, 7 Aug 1999 17:12:34 -0400
From:      tcobb@staff.circle.net
To:        Doug@gorean.org
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: continued crashes with 3.1-Stable

"Heavy" is about 400-500 kbytes/second pushed out through
the NIC from 170-200 simultaneous apache processes.  The box
runs just apache and stronghold, with database served from a
UP PIII 550 machine that's separate.

NIC is a 3COM 3C905B.

Kernel is customized, but maxusers is set to 128 with NMBCLUSTERS
to 8192.  We never get close to using all the clusters.

Motherboard is a Supermicro P6SBU with 1GB ECC RAM.

I've pushed more traffic than this on a UP machine, with a slower
processor and less memory and the same NIC.  That leaves
potential hardware/configuration problems being related to:
DPT controller (I've used this several times, though not an a 3.2-era
machine)
1GB memory (first time with this much memory in a box)
Dual processor

-Troy Cobb
 Circle Net, Inc.
 http://www.circle.net