Date:      Fri, 13 Oct 2000 23:47:47 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Nils Holland <nils@nightcastleproductions.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org, brian@freebsd.org
Subject:   PPP and T-Online - Problem solved

Well, I have solved my ppp-connection problem with T-Online. As always,
the problem was at a place where I would not normally search for it. In
short: There was something wrong with the nameservers.

In detail:
When I dial in to T-Online my /etc/resolv.conf is updated with the
nameservers assigned to my by T-Online (ppp.conf contains line "enable
dns"). Since that was set, and it worked properly (I checked that my
resolv.conf really contained T-Online's nameservers) I did not even think
one single second about the fact that the problem could be found here.

When I found out that I could actually ping all IPs on the Internet I got
suspicious. I could ping 'em, but I could not connect by telnet, pop3, ftp
or whatever to them. So I tried a different name server. Now it worked! I
could ping all hosts by IP and hostname!

Now one may wonder why T-Online's nameservers work under Windoze and not
under FreeBSD. Well, it seems to me as if T-Online's nameservers are
unable to do reverse name lookups. And it seems that reverse name lookups
happen whenever I connect to a host by IP: When I say "telnet
63.73.49.39 110" I get a message saying "Connected to
nightcastleproductions.org", so a reverse name lookup must have taken
place. Either T-Online's nameservers really doesn't do that correctly, or
there is a different problem I have observed at a different ISP earlier:

Once I had the IP if a nameserver but I could not do a nslookup on it
because it (and some other nameservers in /etc/resolv.conf) couldn't look
up its FQDN by its IP. Although I don't know any technical details, I know
that I never could do a nslookup using that nameserver under FreeBSD,
while under Windoze it worked...

No matter how correct or incorrect my above assumptions are, using a
different nameserver that's "hard-coded" into /etc/resolv.conf (so not
changed each time I dial in) everything's working now!

Thanks to everyone who has posted me suggestions on how to solve the
problem!

Bye,
Nils