Date:      Tue, 5 Mar 2002 21:04:59 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Kenneth Culver <culverk@alpha.yumyumyum.org>, Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>, "Steve B." <steveb99@earthlink.net>, "Eugene L. Vorokov" <vel@bugz.infotecs.ru>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: C vs C++

> C++ is a good mapping for problems that are subject to
> object decomposition for solution, and in a design-before-code
> environemnt (explains why you haven't seen good -- IYO -- Open
> Source C++ code), it is easier to verify that the code matches
> the design, and the correctness of the design, as well as being
> able to use the design document 10 years later to successfully
> maintain the code.

See my previous email, where I disagree with this.

Using some analogies:

C - Here is a gun and bullets.  Try not to hurt yourself.
Java - Here is a gun, with the safety-on, and some rubber bullets.  Try
  not to hurt yourself.

C++ - Here is a fully loaded gun, with no safety.  Let's point it at
  your foot.  If might hurt if you pulled the trigger, but then again it
  might feel good.  Go ahead and try to not shoot yourself.

> FWIW, the University of Kentucky did a Bell Labs/USL
> sponsoered OS research project called "Choices", written
> in C++.

[ snip ]

Great.  Someone can actually write something decent in C++.  In the same
manner is that it's possible to write bad code in any language, I'm of
the opinion that some languages make it hard to write good code.

C++ is one of those languages.  It's possible to use it and do a good
job, but the odds are stacked against you.

Nate