Date:      Thu, 4 Oct 2001 13:49:27 +0200
From:      "Patrick O'Reilly" <patrick@mip.co.za>
To:        "David Oleszkiewicz" <davido@labrador.dhs.org>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: /var filling up

David,

Greg Lehey's fine book suggests symlink-ing /var, as suggested also by Zach.

The last 10 or 15 boxes I have set up have no /var partition, just / (128M),
swap (xxxM), and /usr (the rest of the first disk).  Immediately after
installation I do this:

# mkdir /usr/var
# cd /var
# tar cf - . | (cd /usr/var; tar xf -)
# ls -al /usr/var         # Just to be sure it happened!
# cd /
# rm -rf /var
# ln -s /usr/var /var

I do the same with /tmp, then:
# shutdown -r now
so that the box can come up clean with the new /var .

This procedure has NEVER given me trouble, and it saves worrying about a
small /var partition.

Thanks to Greg's instructions :)

Patrick.