Date:      Mon, 7 Feb 2000 12:29:54 +1100 (EST)
From:      Rowan Crowe <rowan@sensation.net.au>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Performance of FreeBSD and MS Windows. What about select() and memory management etc ?

On Mon, 7 Feb 2000, Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Monday,  7 February 2000 at 11:40:43 +1100, Stanley Hopcroft wrote:

[...]

> Getting back to your own experience: by default, FreeBSD doesn't do
> DMA on IDE drives.  It's possible that the perceived performance would
> be much better with DMA.  In addition, kde is a known memory hog.

Hi Greg,

Do you know of any pointers to increasing the performance (in general) of
FreeBSD's IDE drivers by tweaking the kernel settings?

A related story:

I have a 1Gb drive which came to me marked "faulty", but I ended up
putting it into a FreeBSD machine and it has worked flawlessly for the
last 18 months. I recently put it into a Win95 machine and it's been
gradually corrupted to the point where the file system is almost unusable.
If I only used Windows I'd probably also be considering it faulty.

I'm guessing it's because FreeBSD is more conservative (by default) with
IDE settings/features so it's being more gentle on the drive. Windows is
trying to automagically milk every last bit of performance out of it so
that's why it is failing.

Time to put it back into a FreeBSD box methinks. :-)

Cheers.

--
Rowan Crowe                              http://www.rowan.sensation.net.au/
Sensation Internet Services                    http://www.sensation.net.au/