Date:      Fri, 21 Apr 2000 23:47:58 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        "Delmar W. Van Tassell, Jr." <delmarvt@snowcrest.net>
Cc:        Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Newbie Question

Delmar W. Van Tassell, Jr. wrote to Questions@FreeBSD.ORG:

> Hi there,
> 	In the process of bringing up the latest build of FreeBSD, I ran across
> the term "ElTorito" format re: CDroms.  What does this mean?

Someone may correct me on this, but I *belive* the ElTorito format is an
extension on ISO9660 (which may or may not be compatible with the ISO9660
spec) that allows for Windows' long filenames.  However, to my knowledge,
the ISO9660 is the ONLY recommended format for cross-platform CDROMS (not
necessarily a limitation of FreeBSD).

> Also, how
> does one mount CD's without getting "Illegal Superblock"
>
> Many Thanks,		Del

"Illegal superblock" means the filesystem format being mounted (or, more
correctly, the block device being mounted) was not recognized.  If you get
this error mounting one of those ElTorrito discs, and NOT when mounting
genuine ISO discs, chances are ElTorrito is a Bad Idea :-)  Again, I don't
consider myself an expert on CD-ROM formats, but I DO know how to practice
common sense :-)

Or, you may be mounting your disc incorrectly.  Assuming you have an empty
/mnt directory, and that you are using an ATAPI CD-ROM (connected on your
IDE controller), try something like this:

mount -t cd9660 /dev/acd0a /mnt

The -t cd9660 is essential, to specify that the media contains an ISO 9660
filesystem.  You WILL get superblock errors if you don't specify this, as
the mount program will look for a standard UFS file system otherwise.

/dev/acd0a is the location of the device node for your CD.  This may be
acd0a, acd0c, etc... Consult the output of `dmesg | grep cd` to see which
device node your CD is using.  If you have a SCSI cdrom, for instance, it
won't be an 'acd' block at all.

/mnt is the location under which the files will appear.  If you mount your
CD frequently, you may want to create a /cdrom directory for this purpose.
/mnt, by convention, is a temporary mount point.

Hope this helps,
- Ryan

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Systems Administrator, Accounts

  SaskNow Technologies     http://www.sasknow.com
  #106-380 3120 8th St E   Saskatoon, SK  S7H 0W2