Date:      Mon, 15 Jan 1996 18:58:22 -0800
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        "Russell L. Carter" <rcarter@geli.com>
Cc:        dennis@etinc.com (dennis), hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 100Mbs Ethernet

>} >Is there a 100Mbs ethernet solution (SMC?) with uses the if_de driver? If
>} >not, what cards are supported?
>}
>}    Yes. The if_de driver works with the SMC 9332 fast ethernet cards.
>
>It works with lot more cards, too, many of which are 30% cheaper than
>the SMC, and have identical performance.  I've verified the
>following other brands:
>
>Infotel
>Compex
 ^^^^^^

   Are you sure about that? I didn't know that Compex started making a
100BaseTX card. Their first 100Mbit card was 100BaseVG and used an AT&T (or
was that TI?) chip. The only 100Mbit hub they sell is also 100BaseVG. If
they've figured out the 100BaseTX is the future (like everyone has been
saying all along) and are now making products for it, then that would be
great news...

-DG

David Greenman
Core Team/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project