Date:      Fri, 7 May 1999 15:22:29 -0500
From:      "Mike Avery" <mavery@mail.otherwhen.com>
To:        advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: from -chat, Re: Mindcruft ...

On 7 May 99, at 14:00, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> On 7 May 1999, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:

> > John Reynolds~ <jreynold@sedona.ch.intel.com> writes:
> > > I wonder how we could get in on this fun ...

> > >   http://www.mindcraft.com/openbenchmark.html
> > >
> > > I'm sure that 3.1-STABLE or some other variant could compete quite
> > > well at this little game ...
> >
> > No. Don't you get it? The game is rigged. Mindcraft gets big money
> > from Microsoft for doing these tests and making sure NT comes out on
> > top.

> It's risky, but since they are allowing the "Linux experts" access
> to the machines to do tuning, and the benchmark specifications are
> sort of "open".  Although it gives me a bad feeling in the pit of
> my stomach, I don't really see how this could be "rigged".

> I don't think this should be so easily dismissed, some of FreeBSD's
> finest should look into doing this.  Not only would they get fame,
> but so would the project... *cough* DG *cough* :)  I'm not saying
> it _should_ be done because I don't have enough knowledge about
> FreeBSD tuning to compete in such an event, I'm just saying someone
> *cough* David *cough* might want to look into it.
>
> If played right it could put FreeBSD in _quite_ a good spot...

Actually, I don't see how we could lose, although I've missed the
obvious in the past.

If FreeBSD wins overall, that's cool.  They get egg on their faces.

If FreeBSD comes in second to Linux, that's not bad in the eyes of
people who've never heard of us.

If we come in behind NT, we don't have to say it, and in fact
shouldn't, but most people seem to feel that the Mindcraft tests
are rigged at the outset, so there's no shame in losing in a rigged
race.  The only question we'd have to answer is, "If you knew it was
rigged, why did you get involved?  By getting involved you grant them
some of your respectability and get nothing in return."  And that's a
tough question to answer if we feel it is rigged.

The best solution might be to ask to be involved.  Send the best we
can, and if it looks rigged, walk and explain why.  Loudly.

Mike

Mike Avery                            MAvery@mail.otherwhen.com
                                          (409)-842-2942 (work)
                                                  ICQ: 16241692

* Spam is for lusers who can't get business any other way *

A Randomly Selected Thought For The Day:
    Misspelled?  Impossible.  My modem is error correcting.