Date:      Sat, 1 Nov 1997 19:11:32 -0700 (MST)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Guido van Rooij <guido@gvr.org>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: card removal problems

> Just like with the PAO release I experience problems when removing a
> card from a slot. Sometimes this results in a total lockup of the
> system, while it keeps beeping.

There is a race where it's possible that the driver in in use when you
remove it that is un-avoidable.  But, this seems to happen pretty
rarely.

> With the PAO release, the solution was to fist cut power from the card and
> then remove it. This was done via the power subcommand of pccardc.
> Wouldn;t it be wise to introduce that subcommand? Or am I the only
> one experiencing problems when removing cards?

I'd like to introduct as few things *as necessary* to the release, but
if it's necessary then we should add it.  Too many 'fixes' that went
into PAO tree that masked the real problem, so before we add the power
let's try and figure out what the problem is.

Nate