Date:      Fri, 21 Feb 2003 16:27:47 +1030
From:      bastill@adam.com.au
To:        Peter Hollaubek <fifteen@inext.hu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: installkernel first?

Quoting Peter Hollaubek <fifteen@inext.hu>:
> As of /usr/src/UPDATING:
>
>         To update from 4.0-RELEASE or later to the most current
>         4.x-STABLE
>         ----------
>         make buildworld
>         make buildkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
>         make installkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
>         reboot  (in single user) [1]
>         make installworld
>         mergemaster             [2]
>         reboot
>
> In single user mode only the root fs is mounted by default. So for making
> installworld
> you have to mount all the slices affected by such a process (usually all
> other slices like
> /usr, /var), and also, only the system itself boots up, nothing else is
> started
> preventing any problem caused by installing something new under a running old
> task
> in memory. If the new kernel fails you can return to the old one without
> risking
> incompatibility with the old kernel and the new world. Everything in this
> order has a
> reason :).

Thanks to all, and particularly Peter for this complete explanation.

I had taken makeworld.html from the handbook and used links to save as formatted
text prior to printing out the contents.
Not being familiar with single user mode, I didn't realise that only / was
mounted in that mode (so why does the handbook put "fsck -p" as the FIRST
command, before "mount -a" ? <sigh>).
Not being familiar with sh (and not thinking too well either) I assumed that
"make buildkernel # make installkernel" was two linked commands on the one line,
wheras it should have been read as:
# make buildkernel
# make installkernel
with the # simply indicating root prompt (Thanks, Sue).

All-in-all there was actually nothing wrong (except my ignorance <g>)

--
Brian