Date:      Fri, 14 Sep 2001 16:41:45 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@neomedia.it>
To:        Fergus Cameron <cameron@argus-systems.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: i dont unsterstand the disk label maker

> i think you have the terminology back to front & technically there is no
> DOS partition involved.

I don't want to start a flame war about terminology. :-)

Maybe I should have said "a DOS-style partition", or rather, a "BIOS"
partition, as fdisk(8) suggests. You seem to prefer "IBM partition". But my
post was also sent to a Windows user...

To make matters worse, disklabel(8) explicicitly speaks of, er, DOS slices
[sic!].

By the way, in all the books/documentation I have been RTFMing^Wreading so
far, a Unix slice is defined as a BIOS/DOS-[like/style] partition. More
precisely, it is one of the four entries in the partition table contained in
the MBR (64 bytes, starting at byte 446).

> there IBM partitions on your disk.  BSD will take one of those partions for
> it's own & allow you to create slices within it.
                                 ??????

Am I missing something?

--Salvo