Date:      Sun, 16 Apr 2006 20:35:37 +0200
From:      "[LoN]Kamikaze" <LoN_Kamikaze@gmx.de>
To:        Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen@ispro.net.tr>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CPUTYPE=athlon-xp and loader

Evren Yurtesen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a problem which I have found out from mailing lists that some
> other people had. However there is no clear solution.
>
> The CPUTYPE=athlon-xp in make.conf breaks /boot/loader that system
> instant reboots. I am using 6-stable and from what I can see the problem
> goes back till about 5.3... Sometime between Oct 12-15, 2005
>
> http://archive.netbsd.se/?ml=freebsd-current&a=2004-10&m=435817
>
> I wonder if this will ever be fixed or I shouldnt use CPUTYPE=athlon-xp
> anymore on FreeBSD because of this?

I have the same problem with CPUTYPE=pentium-m and there is an easy
solution. I have the following lines in my /etc/make.conf:

# /boot/loader crashs with pentium-m
.if ${.CURDIR:M*/src/sys/boot/i386/loader*}
CPUTYPE=                pentium3
.endif

Exchange pentium3 with something that works for you, i.e. athlon and it
should be fine for you.