Date:      Thu, 31 May 2001 11:03:41 -0700
From:      John Merryweather Cooper <jmcoopr@webmail.bmi.net>
To:        Cynic <cynic@mail.cz>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: install locations of packages

On 2001.05.31 10:54 Cynic wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I've installed FreeBSD 4.3, and added bash and tcsh (btw,
> /stand/sysinstall didn't mark tcsh as installed though it
> was). These got installed to /usr/local/bin/, but I'd
> rather have them in /bin/. I could just move them, but
> then I won't be able to remove them. I have had a look at
> /var/db/pkg/, and it looks like the locations are hashed
> with MD5. Will it be enough to edit the +<files> with the
> new locations _and_ new hashes, or is the integrity
> checked elsewhere? As I said, I want to be able to remove
> the packages with pkg_delete(1).
>
> Better yet -- where will the man page get installed if I
> install e. g. bash with # pkg_add -p / bash-2.05.tgz ?
> Because normally it goes to /usr/local/bin and
> /usr/local/man/man1/ (hope I have the locations right, no
> freebsd system around here), while I want it in /bin/ and
> /usr/share/man/man1/. I guess I'll have to edit the install
> script, right?
>
> TIA
>

> cynic@mail.cz
> -------------
> And the eyes of them both were opened and they saw that their files
> were world readable and writable, so they chmoded 600 their files.
>      - Book of Installation chapt 3 sec 7

Upon reading the documentation for the tcsh port, you'll discover that
all it does is create a symlink to csh (which is really tcsh).  Your
hacking is thus unnecessary.

jmc

P.S.  Please excuse the duplicates (if any).  After working just fine
for quite awhile, something screwy has decided to happen with my
sendmail.  :)

jmc