Date:      23 Jan 2002 22:53:53 -0800
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD List <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Reversing Linux and FreeBSD running on same system without mutual self-destruction

Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net> writes:

> Yes, I was not really wanting to burden anyone with the mathematics of
> it :).

Thanks, but it was hard to see what your problem was well enough to
suggest a solution.

> Having done that I guess I can boot the existing BSD system single user
> and tar over the existing AT BSD file systems to the SCSI one. I can
> adjust Lilo to reflect the new boot possibilities, I can adjust fstab
> for the SCSI BSD..with me so far ?

And adjust /etc/fstab on the SCSI, of course.

> Now this is where I reach the edge of the desert. I need then a kernel
> on the SCSI BSD system that will boot it. And this is where I need
> some expert advice, will the installation of a generic kernel from the
> existing AT system onto the root of the new SCSI FreeBSD system work ?

I don't know SCSI, but I suppose that GENERIC should do that.  If it
doesn't work you could build a custom kernel on the ATA and move just
the new /kernel and /modules over.

> What are the gotcha's in this scenario ? Apart from the possible
> devastation of a typing mistake (I just found quite a novel one
> in the existing installation, which strangely has never had a bad
> effect..but that is a mere detail :)

The only thing I know is the limitations of tar.  The only one I know
of has to do with device minor numbers on /dev/*sa*.ctl which I think
you can do without until you get a chance to run /dev/MAKEDEV.  See
sa(4).