Date:      Thu, 29 Aug 2002 23:02:24 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Marc Eckhert <meckhert@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: US Robotics V.Everything Internal ISA modem

On Thu, Aug 29, 2002 at 11:04:48AM -0700, Marc Eckhert wrote:
> Does anyone know if the US Robotics V.Everything Internal ISA modem is
> supported under 4.6.2?
> I have searched everywhere and can't find any info.  I know that its cousin,
> the V.Everything External is widely supported, but I can't seem to get the
> internal version to work.
>
> Its not a winmodem, so I was hoping someone could point me in the right
> direction (necessary kernel entries, COM and IRQ settings known to work)

It should work fine, although it might require a little tweaking of
kernel configurations.  If you look at the entries for 'sio' devides
in the GENERIC config (/usr/src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC), you'll see
that sio0 -- sio3 are all configured, but that sio2 and sio3 are
'disabled'.

In principle you should be able to change the sio2 entry to 'enabled'
and then (maybe) configure the modem card to use the appropriate IRQ
and port if it doesn't work automatically.  The 'pnpinfo' command is
invaluable in debugging this sort of thing.  You can switch sio2 to
enabled without having to recompile the kernel by the boot time
configurator (boot -c from the boot loader prompt --- same thing you
go into at the first stages of doing an install).

I did have a 'PnP' internal modem once that insisted on trying to
install itself as sio4 unless I completely deleted the sio2 and sio3
entries from the kernel config.  Took me a while and a bit of head
scratiching before I worked that one out.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way
                                                      Marlow