Date:      Thu, 2 Dec 1999 11:24:52 -0800 (PST)
From:      Joss Roots <osiris2002@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Is it posssible for someone to FREEZE FreeBSD over TCP-IP Network ?

Hi there,
I was running FreeBSD-3.3 -STABLE today (as
usual)
and was running XFree86 X11R6-3.3.5, and
WindowMaker window manager,and a couple of
clients, like Netscape 4.5
and unix Cockpit.
I was merely downloading some of the ports
and was not compiling any code that may crash
the machine.
At the moment I was clicking the mouse
to shift from one desktop to another
the whole machine was frozen.
No keyboard, no mouse, unable to even kill the
X window system, and ctrl-alt-del was inoperable.
The only possiblities that I can think of
1. the Window Maker contains a really bad bug.
(I wonder if this could crash the FreeBSD)
2. the Mouse Interrupt came at a really bad time.
(This may crash the machine on any OS, but how
or why this happenend, and is this reproducible,
I am not sure ?)
3. Someone has caused the machine to freeze
deliberatley over the internet.
(I have Pentium-166, with the work-around F00F
bug installed.)

I wonder (too long), about the possiblity
of using this bug, or another way to freeze
the machine by a "denial of service" attack.
and I also wonder if there is something I should
setup to at least give me some kind of logging
when I reboot.

Eng. David Greenman is encouraged to feedback
on this, and all comments are mostly welcome.
thanks in advance.

=====
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU.