Date:      Fri, 14 Aug 1998 15:58:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Jolley <doug@footech.com>
To:        proot@horton.iaces.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Device Drivers for Hard Drive Partitions

>Partitions count from 1-4.

>/dev/sd0s1

OK.  Thanks for the input.

I hate to belabor the point; but, why then does mount show the
device driver associated with my / partition as /dev/sd0a
while fdisk says that my FreeBSD partition is partition 2.
(Partition 1 is msdos and partitions 3 and 4 are unused (at
least according to fdisk)).  I would think, if anything,
that /dev/sd0a would be associated with the very first
partition (in my case the msdos partition).  IOW, I would think
that 0 would go with the very first partition, 1 with the second,
etc.

I'll save for another question the fact that the device driver
for my /usr partition is /dev/sd02f and the device driver for
my /var partition is /dev/sd02e.  I have no idea how those were
determined.  I also am still unclear on what the device driver
for my msdos partition should be.

Thanks for any further input.  (Again, sorry to drag this out.)

     ... doug