Date:      Fri, 3 Jan 2003 13:46:48 -0800
From:      David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>, dever@getaclue.net, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bystander shot by a spam filter.

Thus spake Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>:
> David Schultz wrote:
> > > Actually, you want to have authorization, not authentication.  You
> > > could probably care less about authentication, and it seems to me
> > > that authentication is the part that Dave objects to, anyway.
> > >
> > > The point of authorization is to change the cost model, anyway, so
> > > in the limit, you are talking about economics in both your approaches.
> >
> > Authentication is a prerequisite to being able to enforce policies
> > for authorization.
>
> No, it's not.
>
> Consider:

[...]
> Basically: there is no authetication, only authorization, since a
> certificate does not provide me with identity, unless we modify the
> domain name registration system to require proof of identity.

A DNS-based solution doesn't save you from IP spoofing and
other routing-based attacks.
Also, in your system the people running the network write
the policy, not the people receiving the mail.  Will the ISPs
in Taiwan implement a policy that I can agree with, or do I
have to blackhole all of Taiwan?

> > I intentionally avoided trying to specify some
> > sort of culture or policy for email because that's a highly
> > debatable issue.  I'm just pointing out that in order to enforce
> > any policy in a way that can't be abused, you need an
> > infrastructure that allows you to bind a key to every sender, or
> > at least to each service provider.
>
> Yes.  But having a key in hand does not provide sufficient data
> to discern the sender's identity.  The ability to send anonymous
> email is not lost... in fact, given the way today's blacklists
> operate, it is regained.

You still need an authority in the system, perhaps to sign
personal keys.  But that's true of any system that allows you to
receive mail from a select group of people you don't know, your
proposal included.  In your system, the authority always returns a
`yes' or `no' answer to the question of whether a particular
principal is authorized to send mail.  I claim that the authority
ought to return some information about the principal that would
permit the implementation of more expressive policies.  That
information doesn't need to include a name and SSN, but it might
have a `SPAM history' of some sort and SPAM statistics for the
originating ISP.  Then I could say, ``I don't want to receive mail
from anyone who has sent confirmed SPAM,'' or ``I don't want to
hear from people who use anonymous remailers''.  Of course, there
are ways to abuse the policies I just stated, so further
refinement is needed.  Ideally, we would have an inclusion set.