Date:      Sat, 8 Jul 2006 11:29:21 -0700
From:      "Sanford Owings" <sanford.owings@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Services on bridging host?

Hello.

I'm looking for some assistance (or at least some more understanding)
regarding a connectivity issue with a bridging host.  In short, I have
a host with two interfaces, using the "options BRIDGE" type of
bridging.  One interface has an IP assigned, and the other does not
(as suggested by the FBSD handbook).  Hosts on the "IP enabled" side
of the bridging host can connect to that IP (ssh, SMB shares, etc),
but not to hosts on the other side of the bridge.  In addition, the
bridging host itself cannot connect to services on the "non-IP
enabled" side of itself.

Segment 1:
Desktop box  .63
Laptop            .65
Bridging host .2

Segment 2:
Bridging host                  <none>
Firewall/gateway           .1
Wireless access point  .254

All hosts are in the same (192.168) class C.

Hosts on segment 1 (not including the bridging host) can pass
*through* the firewall/gateway to the internet, but cannot connect to
any services running on the firewall host.

Hosts on segment 2 (not including the bridging host, but including
hosts connected via wireless) can connect to services on the
firewall/gateway, as well as pass through it to the internet.
However, no services running on the bridging host can be reached via
its IP defined on segment 1.

The ethernet address of the firewall host is listed on the segment 1
interface (em0, to differentiate from vr0) of the bridging hosts 'arp
-a' output, despite the fact that the firewall is connected on the
segment 2 side of the bridge.

My sysctl.conf reads:
net.link.ether.bridge.enable=1
net.link.ether.bridge.config=em0,vr0

em0 is ifconfiged with an address in rc.conf, while vr0 is not.

uname -a:
FreeBSD tranquillity.base 6.1-RC FreeBSD 6.1-RC #3: Mon Apr 24
10:56:48 PDT 2006
sowings@tranquillity.base:/usr/src/sys/i386/compile/tranquillity  i386

I'd be happy to switch to if_bridge, but I had no luck with that at
all in my first attempt.

Can anyone offer a hint?  If there's additional information needed to
help sort this out, please let me know.

Sanford

--
Sanford Owings