Date:      Fri, 30 Mar 2001 13:18:25 +1000
From:      Tony Landells <ahl@austclear.com.au>
To:        Ashby Gochenour <freebsd@intelos.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: syslogd and cisco

freebsd@intelos.net said:
> I checked and I do have syslog running on port 514:
> Port       State       Service
> 111/udp    open        sunrpc
> 514/udp    open        syslog

> I also have the router.log in /var/log and is owned by root with wheel
> group. Would this be preventing syslogd to log? I thought it would log
> as syslogd runs under root UID:

> root      115  0.0  0.1   928  732  ??  Ss   10:47AM   0:00.42 syslogd

It should.  Basically if it's logging to another file that has the same
ownership and permissions as router.log you should be okay.

> Hm. I am running out of ideas on this one.  I don't understand what I
> could be missing. Any further ideas are well appriciated!

Oh, here's a question--what flags is syslogd running with at the moment?
Because the default flag is "-s", which means it won't log messages from
other systems.  If you had your previous stuff in /etc/rc.conf and just
commented it out then you'll get the default.

Change /etc/rc.conf to have the line:

	syslogd_flags=""

(or just kill syslogd and run it with no arguments) and see if that works.

Tony
--
Tony Landells					<ahl@austclear.com.au>
Senior Network Engineer				Ph:  +61 3 9677 9319