Date:      Tue, 27 Oct 2015 14:08:47 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        Dennis Glatting <freebsd@pki2.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: usbnet vs umass (FreeBSD<>BeagleBone)

Dennis Glatting <freebsd@pki2.com> writes:

> I am trying to get Ethernet to work over USB between a BeagleBone Black
> and a i386 FreeBSD laptop.

[Warning: I haven't actually used any of this, or dealt with the
code...]

I assume you already have the driver loaded on the FreeBSD side. The
Beaglebone side will be configured differently depending on whether you
use CDC or Remote NDIS; I'm fairly sure that it supports both, and
FreeBSD certainly does.

> The FreeBSD laptop insists the BBB is a disk (da0) on the opposite end
> of the USB cable. So I set load_umass="NO" but FBSD insisted a disk was
> there. So I disabled Linux, still a da0. I commented out "device umass"
> in the kernel config but umass was built and installed anyway (must be
> a dependency somewhere).

Sounds reasonable. Disabling umass entirely might be fairly difficult,
and is unlikely to be necessary.

It's possible that the Beaglebone emulates a umass device by default;
you can check this by trying to figure out what kind of filesystem the
FreeBSD machine sees, and maybe mounting that. If that works, then at
least part of the problem is that you haven't configured the Linux side
correctly, as opposed to the FreeBSD side.

Good luck.