Date:      Wed, 24 Sep 2003 15:03:44 -0700
From:      steve@Watt.COM (Steve Watt)
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE: PCI bridges & interrupts

On Sep 24, 16:38, John Baldwin wrote:
}
} On 24-Sep-2003 Steve Watt wrote:
} > [ Too advanced for -questions?  Trying again. ]
} >
} > I'm having a strange problem with interrupts, PCI bridges, and
} > FreeBSD 4-STABLE (cvsupped from a few months ago).
} >
} > The motherboard is a Supermicro X5DL8-GG, dual-Xeon capable (only one is
} > populated).  The BIOS is AMIBIOS 7.00.00.  The BIOS settings have PnP OS
} > set to NO, ACPI OS is YES ('cause FreeBSD-CURRENT was once installed),
} > and power management is all disabled.
}
} Turn ACPI off, there's a slim chance it might help.

No joy, I'm afraid.

} > Everything on the board works when directly connected to the host,
} > except that we can't go 66MHz and we can't close the case.  With
} > the riser card, *almost* everything works, except for interrupts.
} > I can see the interrupt line low *on the card edge connector on
} > the motherboard*, but it's not acknowledged, and our driver's ISR
} > doesn't run.  We've throttled the riser card to 33MHz to eliminate
} > that possibility.

And if I were clever, I would've mentioned that it's in the
same slot.  And the IRQ that gets assigned (by reading the
dmesg, as well as reading out the register from config space)
is the same.

} > What follows is the verbose dmesg from the boot up without the
} > riser (bridge), followed by diffs when booted with the riser.
} >
} > I'm looking for clues.  It's about >< that far from working right,
} > and this almost looks like a FreeBSD issue.
} >
} > Buddy, can you spare a clue?  Why isn't the ISR running?
}
} Have you tried 5.x?  Basically, 4.x doesn't really have all the
} infrastructure to route interrupts, and if your BIOS screws it up,
} then you aren't going to get the right IRQ number hooked up.

If the BIOS is screwing it up, it's somehow in the configuration
of the interrupt controller, which I thought was completely
owned by the OS.

I'd love to migrate it to 5.x, but there are bits of the driver
that have a rather intimate knowledge of other areas of the kernel
that are somewhat painful to drag forward.  Management wants me
to try it on Linux, where the next gen of our driver is being
brought up.

But that's yet another OS install, and I'm (aren't we all?) in a
bit of a hurry.

Thanks,

--
Steve Watt KD6GGD  PP-ASEL-IA          ICBM: 121W 56' 57.8" / 37N 20' 14.9"
 Internet: steve @ Watt.COM                         Whois: SW32