Date:      Thu, 24 Oct 2002 17:05:45 +0200
From:      Andreas Ntaflos <ant@overclockers.at>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fsck lasting several hours (and then forever) after crash

On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 07:43:22AM -0700, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 04:15:08PM +0200, Andreas Ntaflos wrote:
> > Hello lists (sorry for crossposting),
> >   This is kind of serious for me. Here is what happened: I portupgraded
> >   the native version of mozilla to 1.1 and fired it up. It crashed and took X
> >   with it. Keyboard and mouse where dead, I had to press the reset button.
> >     So the system rebooted and reached automatic fsck. Checked /, /var, /tmp
> >   and then, when going to /usr it stopped. And stood stopped. I've had it
> >   running 17 hours now, nothing. Booting into single user I do /sbin/fsck,
> >   which works nicely until here:
> >
> >   Phase 1 - Check Blocks and Sizes
> >   INCORRECT BLOCK COUNT I=1702863 (4 should be 0)
> >   CORRECT [yn]
> >
> >   No matter what I enter (tried both y and n) it goes on and then lasts
> >   forever. No harddisk-noise, no nothing. I really don't know why this is
> >   happening. fsck does not bail out or say anything, it just does nothing
> >   after above message. No CTRL-C, no CTRL-ALT-DEL, no nothing helps.
>
> What happens when you press ^T?

Well, nothing. Just nothing. The num-lock key works (the LED goes on and off),
so the keyboard itself is not dead. But fsck does not let me get out. Brrrr.

Could this be serious? Either for my disk which might be about to go to hell,
or for fsck?
--
	Andreas "ant" Ntaflos |	"A cynic is a man who knows the price of
	ant@overclockers.at   |	everything, and the value of nothing."